God has challenged me to write about how He will supernaturally pay off our mortgage in 5 years. I am a homemaker, my husband is a teacher, and we have three children. Our mortgage balance at the start of this blog is $97,802.62 with a projected payoff date of May 11, 2035.

Sounds foolish, huh? The Bible says that, "...God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;..." So I am choosing to be foolish and trust Him. He's never let me down before.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Step Away from the Baby!

Earlier this week we were babysitting a friend's son for a couple of hours.  After following his daily routine, we came to the hour when he was due for a nap.

First my husband held him for a while but he cried. Next we put him in our son's swing, but he continued to cry.  My husband had to get ready to leave the house and handed the baby over to me.  He told me about a way to hold him that had gotten him to sleep last time we watched him.  I tried this suggested hold but the little guy cried on.

Then I realized the time.  With my stomach growling I knew that I needed to eat lunch or I would be crying alongside the baby!  I laid him down on a sleeping bag in our living room as he continued to protest. "I'll be right back" I told him and stepped away into the kitchen to make a sandwich.

While mulling over what toppings to add to the meat, I suddenly thought 'The crying has stopped.'  I went around the corner into the living to find the scene below.



The whole time I knew that what he needed was rest.  But I didn't know how to get him to do what he needed to do.  What I recognized after seeing him fall asleep on his own was that what needed to happen would eventually happen if I just let it happen on its own.

This reminds me of how God works in my life.  I have a problem and try everything within my power to solve the problem.  God lets me do this.  It doesn't work.  I get so worn out that I have no choice but to do nothing.  Then God handles business as usual.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

When I am trying to do things in my own power, I hope to remember to step away from my baby so that I can have Christ's power.

1 comment: