God has challenged me to write about how He will supernaturally pay off our mortgage in 5 years. I am a homemaker, my husband is a teacher, and we have three children. Our mortgage balance at the start of this blog is $97,802.62 with a projected payoff date of May 11, 2035.

Sounds foolish, huh? The Bible says that, "...God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;..." So I am choosing to be foolish and trust Him. He's never let me down before.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Road Rave

Our car has been overheating.  Today I called AAA to tow it from our house to the mechanic.  Little did I know that God had a divine appointment in store for me.

The driver arrives, checks my id and membership card, all of the routine stuff.  He tells me that he woofed down his sandwich to come, because my call was right in the middle of his lunch break.  I thanked him for doing that.  We make small talk about where he lives and about his family.  After talking for a while, I bring up someone I thought that we may have as a mutual acquaintance.  He tells me that he knows the person, and I let him know that we go to church together.

We talk about Wyoming, because one of his kids live there, and my brother-in-law used to live there.  Then he shares that he and his wife may move out that way to be closer to their kids.  He tells me that he owns some land out there that his wife doesn't know about.  "I've learned to always be prepared," he tells me.  I ask him if this was because of his past (he shared earlier about an ex-wife) or if that's how he's always been.  He tells me that he's always been that way.  He feels that it is important to always have something 'set back' that he could live off of in case, God forbid, something should happen between he and his wife.

From there, he leans back on his tow truck and gets comfortable.  He tells me that being brought up Catholic, a lot of the Bible was not shared.  In short, he was brought up with lots of rules (his "mom's" Catholic religion) and discipline (his dad's military background).  But it didn't sound like there was much grace.  He said that he has his own way of doing things.  I asked him what that way was.  "I treat other people like I want to be treated.  I try to do the right things."  "That's the Bible," I said.  "That is doing things God's way."

We talked a little bit more about God and then he ended the conversation by saying that it was a pleasure meeting me.  I told him the same.  Walking back into the house, I was overcome by how God was just plopped right into the middle of our conversation!  Bam!  Just like that.  Why was this guy sharing all of his business with me like I was his best friend?  Because of the authority of Jesus.  "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.  For by him all things were created; things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him for him.  He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."  Colossians 1:15-17

Why should I be surprised when God takes a conversation in the middle of the road and makes it His own?

No comments:

Post a Comment