God has challenged me to write about how He will supernaturally pay off our mortgage in 5 years. I am a homemaker, my husband is a teacher, and we have three children. Our mortgage balance at the start of this blog is $97,802.62 with a projected payoff date of May 11, 2035.

Sounds foolish, huh? The Bible says that, "...God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;..." So I am choosing to be foolish and trust Him. He's never let me down before.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Naughty or Nice

Today while I was upstairs getting ready for church, I heard a noise downstairs.  Didn't really think too much of it because my mind was elsewhere.  Shortly afterwards, our middle son Hunter comes to the bedroom door asking if I can come downstairs.  I tell him not right now because I am getting ready.  He tells me that he needs to show me something.  I ask him to bring it to me.  He says he can't.

Then he proceeds to explain--last evening Ross and I wrapped gifts and put them on the fireplace under the stockings.  Because he saw the wrapped gifts down below, he felt his stocking to see if there was anything inside of it.  In the process of doing this, his stocking holder, which was made of ceramic, fell from the mantle onto the nativity scene, breaking itself and one of the wise men.  As he explained what had transpired, I saw his face was flushed, heard his voice was trembling, and noticed that the tears were starting to fall.

Two months ago, my response would have been naughty.  I would've been angry with him for touching my beautiful decorations instead of keeping his hands to himself.  I would've reminded him that we already had one broken stocking holder that had to be repaired a couple of years ago, and now we have two.  That was then...but this is now.

Today I was nice.  I told him it was okay.  I told him that it was just stuff and stuff is not what's important.  During this time of year when we get so focused on stuff, Hunter needed to know (and I needed to be reminded) that stuff is not the reason for the season--Jesus is.  To yell at my son about a broken wise man is just not wise, man!  I thank God for the grace that he has been teaching me about in these past couple of months to prepare me for this moment and other moments that are to come. 

2 comments:

  1. Great Job! You have such patience and self control. I don't know how I would have reacted.

    ReplyDelete