God has challenged me to write about how He will supernaturally pay off our mortgage in 5 years. I am a homemaker, my husband is a teacher, and we have three children. Our mortgage balance at the start of this blog is $97,802.62 with a projected payoff date of May 11, 2035.

Sounds foolish, huh? The Bible says that, "...God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;..." So I am choosing to be foolish and trust Him. He's never let me down before.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Speck that Rules the World

Do you struggle to hear from God?  I do.  I want to, but I don't.  Yes, I hear from Him through His word and through the Holy Spirit guiding me daily in my life.  But I never heard His voice directly.  Today that all changed.

Recently I have been feeling a sense of urgency to become closer to God.  One morning last week, I felt like He was saying that I needed to stop coming to Him to find out what He wants me to do and start coming to Him to find out more about who He is.  I can relate to this.  I have had some friends in the past with whom I could say I had a one way relationship.  They talked and I listened.  The only thing they wanted me for was to be a sounding board for their problems.  Even when I told them what they should do about their situation, they wouldn’t take my advice.  One woman didn’t even know that I had kids!

Well, that’s how I have been with God.  I want to hear from Him, but only about me.  “Lord, what should I do about this issue with my son’s teacher?”  “Lord, please help my ministry to advance.”  “God, work out my schedule so that I can attend this event.”  Do you see the selfishness?  Me, me, ME.  I am that friend that I dread to God.

Today was different.  I was determined to hear Him speak no matter what.  I had time, I was alone, nothing was pressing at me that I had to do except for this.  I silenced clocks, phones, and, most difficult, my mind.  The latter was only by the power of the Holy Spirit.  In no time at all I heard what it seemed like I had waited forever to hear—God’s voice.  He spoke to me clearly and undoubtedly.  His words were relevant and personal.  Actually they have application to this blog.  He said,

“I don’t have to be big and high.  I can be a speck and low and still rule over all.  I am God.”

He’s telling me (and you) don’t limit Him.  He has no limits.  Not based on what He’s done in the past in your life or based on what you’ve done in the past in your life.  His word says,

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.  See, I am doing a new thing!  Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?  I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.” Isaiah 43:18, 19

Just as my mind pictures God to be big and high, my mind also pictures God paying off my mortgage with resources that me and my husband work for.  After all, that’s how He paid off our consumer debt.  But why limit Him?  The Bible says that He can do exceedingly, abundantly more than I can ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20).

From now on, when I think of God, I’m going to think of a lowly speck that can do ANYTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment