God has challenged me to write about how He will supernaturally pay off our mortgage in 5 years. I am a homemaker, my husband is a teacher, and we have three children. Our mortgage balance at the start of this blog is $97,802.62 with a projected payoff date of May 11, 2035.

Sounds foolish, huh? The Bible says that, "...God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;..." So I am choosing to be foolish and trust Him. He's never let me down before.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Joy Ride

Our two oldest children have standardized testing beginning today.  Because they had taken the tests previously and scored well, they both had the pleasure of going to school two hours later.

My son slept in for a while, then eventually got up and prepared for the day.  He was dressed and about to leave out the door when we heard it--the familiar sound of a bus engine revving through our cul-de-sac.

"Is that your bus?" I ask him, already knowing the answer to my question.

"Yeah," he responds.

I had just put our youngest son down for his morning nap and was anxiously awaiting a quiet house where I could do some writing.

"It's 9:15.  Why weren't you out there?"

"Because the clock says 9:13 and it's actually not supposed to come until 22 after even though it usually comes at 17 after-"

I interrupt his argument, "Okay, get your brother out of his crib and put on his shoes and coat."  I just wanted to get going so I could get back home.  "And you will be paying two dollars for a ride."  This is the logical consequence that we have assigned whenever our kids miss the bus by a fault of their own.  They pay us gas money.  The amount changes based on current gas prices.  Lately they have been blessed to only have to pay $2 a ride.

As he comes down the stairs with his brother in tow, I wonder about his sister who was up the street walking the neighbor's dog.  Her plan was to stay out to catch the bus after she had finished up.  Should I text her to see if she needed a ride as well?  Nah!  She had probably caught the bus or she would have been back home by now asking for a ride, too.

No sooner had the thought crossed my mind when I see her figure coming toward the front porch.  As she opens the door I say, "Hey, you're just in time!  Your brother needs a ride, too, and the good news is you guys can split your gas fee."

"Cool," she responds.

We get loaded into the van and drive down the street.  On the way out of our neighborhood we spot one of the kids' classmates waiting at their bus stop.

"Does he ride your bus?" I ask.  They responded that he does.

I do a u-turn in the road and head back to where he is standing.  Winding down the window I say, "The bus already came.  Would you like a ride?" to which he responds, "Yes, please."

"I'll move in the back," our daughter graciously offers.  He gets in and takes the seat next to our 18 month old.

The ride to school is pretty quiet as it tends to be with teenagers in the morning.  I initiate some conversation with the young man about his weekend, but that was other than that everyone was silent.

We arrive at school and the boys say their good-byes and thank yous as they get out.  My daughter, the last to get out due to being in the rear seat, tells me good-bye and then remarks, "Hey, now we can split our gas fee three ways!"

No comments:

Post a Comment