God has challenged me to write about how He will supernaturally pay off our mortgage in 5 years. I am a homemaker, my husband is a teacher, and we have three children. Our mortgage balance at the start of this blog is $97,802.62 with a projected payoff date of May 11, 2035.

Sounds foolish, huh? The Bible says that, "...God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;..." So I am choosing to be foolish and trust Him. He's never let me down before.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Adda Boy!

This morning while I was sitting at the breakfast table with my youngest son, Blaise, I challenged him that if he remained on "green" for his behavior at school through Thursday, I would pay 75 cents for him to buy ice cream during Friday lunch.  He emphatically accepted my challenge but shortly afterwards said, "Wait a minute...I'm not going to buy ice cream."

I was shocked.  When I hear the old adage "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" my Blaise comes to mind.  He takes great pleasure in food, eats with such gusto that every part of him is engaged in the process--lips, fingers, mouth (occasionally a fork).  And sweets, well, they are his favorite kind of food.  What was making him reconsider?

"I'm going to use the 75 cents to save for the HoverBall that I want to buy."  Wow.  I was pleasantly surprised at his declaration.  We had seen the toy during a trip to Wal-Mart and he told me that he wanted to save up to get it.  However, Blaise has been notorious for saying he's going to save only to have his eyes alight on a future object of desire that he has to have right then and there.  Needless to say this was a new and welcome development.

"That's a great idea, Blaise," I said.  "You know what?  If you stay on green through Thursday I'll give you a dollar instead."

Well that was all the incentive he needed to begin calculating aloud what he would need to save for the remaining cost.  Then the business man in him came out.

"Can you give me a dollar every week that I stay on green?"

Smart kid.  Looking to run a business out of good behavior.

"I'll have to think about that," I replied, not sure if I wanted this to be a perpetual means for earning his purchase.  Just the same, it pleases me to see a transition in my son towards becoming more future-minded with his money.  Many adults haven't even begun to master this concept yet. 

Adda boy, Blaise!


No comments:

Post a Comment