God has challenged me to write about how He will supernaturally pay off our mortgage in 5 years. I am a homemaker, my husband is a teacher, and we have three children. Our mortgage balance at the start of this blog is $97,802.62 with a projected payoff date of May 11, 2035.

Sounds foolish, huh? The Bible says that, "...God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;..." So I am choosing to be foolish and trust Him. He's never let me down before.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Treats from Daddy

Prior to the start of each month, Ross and I sit down to review our spending plan (budget).  We begin that meeting with prayer and end it with prayer.  The opening prayer is thanking God for His provision and asking Him for help to remember all the expenses for which we need to plan.  Our closing prayer is asking Him to bless the budget that we've prepared and to cover us in those things that we may have missed.

Tithes and bills are a given in each budget.  After these, we share any additional wants or needs with each other and make a decision as to whether or not to include them in our spending plan.  I had on my list two items from Costco that were certainly wants, but definitely things that our family could use: a pencil sharpener and an air mattress.

8/1
Pencil Sharpener

20.00
8/1
School Supplies

20.00
8/1
Annapolis Trip

50.00
8/1
Annapolis-Hunter


8/1
Senators Cash I
x
15.00
8/1
Senators Cash II

15.00
8/1
Air Mattress

30.00
8/29
Bball Tailgate

40.00
8/1
Cat Food

15.00
8/1
Drive-in movie

50.00
8/1
Sneakers--Hunter
x
25.00
8/1
Sneakers--Blaise
x
20.00
8/15
Mom Birthday

30.00
8/5
ST Taxes Ross
x
343.00
8/5
ST Taxes Chanty
x
14.70


Yes, $20 for a pencil sharpener.  But it's a good pencil sharpener.  Last school year I was plagued by complaints about points breaking off in our 99 cent pencil sharpener and about how we have pencils but the sharpener doesn't work.  Buying this $20 one would be more for my sanity then anything else which in my mind is priceless.  The air mattress request stems from our camping interests and how Ross and I find it more uncomfortable with every passing year to sleep on the ground in our tent even with padding.  We've talked about getting an air mattress for a while.  It would also serve us in being used for overnight guests.

We agreed that we would put these items in our spending plan, but they would not be priorities and would likely be the first on the chopping block if we needed to downsize our spending for any unforeseen expenses.  I was content with this.

Yesterday evening I went to get the mail and saw an envelope from Costco with my name and address handwritten on it.  Inside was a letter apologizing for an error made in our recent membership payment along with a gift card for $50.42 to make up for the difference.  My mind went right back to how we prayed over this month's spending plan and how God made allowance for my two requests.  Certainly these items were not needs for my family, but God wanted us to have them just the same.  

Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?  Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?  If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him? Matthew 7:9-11

What blessing to have a Daddy treats me to good gifts that I do not deserve!

No comments:

Post a Comment