God has challenged me to write about how He will supernaturally pay off our mortgage in 5 years. I am a homemaker, my husband is a teacher, and we have three children. Our mortgage balance at the start of this blog is $97,802.62 with a projected payoff date of May 11, 2035.

Sounds foolish, huh? The Bible says that, "...God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;..." So I am choosing to be foolish and trust Him. He's never let me down before.

Monday, December 15, 2014

What a Difference a Savior Makes!

Cable is one luxury that my husband and I made the decision to do without.  We haven't had cable for over 14 years, ever since we have owned a house.

One of the television channels that we are able to get is called "RetroTV".  It boasts sitcoms from the 70s and 80s like "I Dream of Jeannie", "Different Strokes", and "Father Knows Best".  The station is one that we can generally let our kids watch sans supervision knowing that the content is pretty much PG rated.  So different from today's programming.

Last evening Maude was on.  I had never watched the show in the past.  But ironically I had recently heard mention of a controversial episode.  It had to do with the main character, Maude, getting an abortion.  This exact same episode was on last evening.

Maude, 47 at the time, and her husband became pregnant.  They each thought that the other wanted to have the baby.  However in reality neither of them wanted a baby, but did want the other to be happy.  By the end of the show, both of them came clean and were honest about not wanting to have the baby "at our age" and how they "would make horrible parents".  As I watched the episode holding our two week old son in my arms, it concluded with the couple holding each other in their arms agreeing with relief that Maude would have an abortion.

When I first learned that I was pregnant at age 40, no doubt I felt like Maude and her husband.  Overwhelmed at going back to diapers and sleepless nights, I felt like I had been given a death sentence.  This was not the way that I saw my life turning out.  Our kids were independent and we were on easy street.  Why was this happening to me?

One evening at our church Bible study, our pastor's wife spoke on the topic of trouble.  The message told of how trouble tests me to see where I am in my faith.  It also give me the opportunity to show Jesus in my life to those who are watching me go through trouble.  Lastly, as a believer, my life is not my own.  I was bought with a price.  Therefore I am expected to honor God with my body.  What better way to honor God then to allow Him to use my body to bring life into His world?

After this message, I can say without a doubt that I was changed.  My outlook was completely different.  I was excited, even elated to be the bearer of life.  I began to see it as an honor and was able to enjoy it more than I have ever enjoyed any previous pregnancy.  In addition to commenting on how I was carrying the baby, people also commented on how I carried myself during this time in my life.  This was no doubt due to the assurance that God gave me after hearing His word.

So when I think about it, had it not been for having Jesus in my life, I could be Maude.  I am so thankful to have accepted Him as my Savior and have Him as my Lord to guide me in everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment