God has challenged me to write about how He will supernaturally pay off our mortgage in 5 years. I am a homemaker, my husband is a teacher, and we have three children. Our mortgage balance at the start of this blog is $97,802.62 with a projected payoff date of May 11, 2035.

Sounds foolish, huh? The Bible says that, "...God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;..." So I am choosing to be foolish and trust Him. He's never let me down before.

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Temptation

Today I went grocery shopping at my all-time favorite grocery store, Sharp Shopper.  As I turned onto the road adjacent to the store I noticed a banner out front signifying a special event.  Squinting my eyes to detect its message, I finally made out the words: "Customer Appreciation Event".

Woo-hoo!  This was my lucky day. Once a year for one week Sharp Shopper has store specials (as if their prices weren't already low enough) and daily drawings to win gift cards to their store as well as other retail stores.  I usually hear about when the event is coming around this year it fell off my radar.

As I parked the van, my eyes fell upon the sidewalk leading up to the store.  A myriad of people were setting up to sell food.  During customer appreciation days Sharp Shopper has a local church sell a meal of a hot dog, chips, and a soda for 50 cents.  That's right just 50 cents!  Usually I would be all over such a deal.  However, sitting right next to me in the passenger side of the vehicle was the sandwich and baby carrots I had brought with me.  Generally I am ready to eat lunch about an hour into my grocery shopping.  I bring food along so that I won't be tempted to buy food for lunch that would cost me way more.  "But this is only 50 cents" my flesh pleaded with me.  "It's a nice sunny day.  Wouldn't a grilled hot dog taste good on a day like today?"  Hmm, I could just bring the sandwich home and put it in Ross's lunch for tomorrow.  After all I had made it exactly the way that he likes it.  50 cents--what's the big deal?

I walked into the grocery store and spent about 45 minutes shopping.  I walked out of the grocery store, gave a quick glance to the concession area outside and walked on.  Sigh.  That was hard.  But I was proud of myself.  It wasn't about the 50 cents really.  It was about the discipline.  If I allow myself to be tempted by a meal that I don't really need, then I could eventually be tempted by more expensive things that I don't need.  Thus begins the very cycle that got me into debt 22 years ago.

My sandwich was delightful...as was the sweet taste of victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment