God has challenged me to write about how He will supernaturally pay off our mortgage in 5 years. I am a homemaker, my husband is a teacher, and we have three children. Our mortgage balance at the start of this blog is $97,802.62 with a projected payoff date of May 11, 2035.

Sounds foolish, huh? The Bible says that, "...God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;..." So I am choosing to be foolish and trust Him. He's never let me down before.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

85 cent dress

Yesterday I was talking on the phone with a friend about clothes shopping.  She is a bargain hunter like me and was sharing about how she was able to buy a pair of pants on-line and get the top to match it for free.  The subject then turned to Mother's Day.

My friend has grown.  In her words, "Normally I would have to have a brand new outfit to wear to church for Mother's Day.  But this year, I'm going to pick out one of my old brand new outfits from my closet, doll it up, and make it look brand new."

I let her know how proud I was of her.  Then I told her what I was going to wear--the same 85 cent dress from Goodwill that I wore last year.  "85 cents?," she queried.  "Yep," I said, "and I'll let anyone who asks know."

We had a good laugh over that.  She said she's going to look for me to come in Sunday and then grin from ear to ear.

I used to have to have new this or that for me and my children.  But I realize now that clothes, furnishings, things are temporary.  Here today, gone tomorrow.  Matthew 6:19 puts it this way,

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

These days my perspective is to invest in those things that last--building up others and sharing the good news of Jesus.  My time and my resources go to these causes.  My 85 cents goes to the dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment