God has challenged me to write about how He will supernaturally pay off our mortgage in 5 years. I am a homemaker, my husband is a teacher, and we have three children. Our mortgage balance at the start of this blog is $97,802.62 with a projected payoff date of May 11, 2035.

Sounds foolish, huh? The Bible says that, "...God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;..." So I am choosing to be foolish and trust Him. He's never let me down before.

Monday, May 28, 2012

The Latest Craze

On Saturday Ross and I had a "date day".  He asked if I wanted to go to yard sales together during our time.  His suggestion was meant to bless me because, of the two of us, yard sales are more of my thing.  So after going out to breakfast, we spent our entire date going to people's homes and looking at the unwanted things in their front yards.  Pretty romantic if you ask me :-)

A few days before we went, I checked out the newspaper and Craig's List to map out our time.  A couple of the destinations I looked at listed video game players like Kinect that were being sold.  Our children don't have any video game consoles or Nintendo DS or Ipods or cell phones.  They are 6, 10, and 12 years old.  Believe me, we do hear about it.  Our middle son has come home in a huff saying that he's bored because he doesn't have any handheld games like the other kids.  Our oldest daughter was relentlessly praying for a Iphone (preferably green) for her 12th birthday, and our youngest asks about going over to the neighbor's to "play with him" (which translates into playing video games with him).  Needless to say, my mind has volleyed back and forth between the pros and cons of getting them some of these electronic devices.  So when I saw these items advertised, I have to admit that there was a "maybe" in my head.

Well, instead of electronic items, we ended up buying a brain teaser book, books for the 6 year old, and a few board games.  To say that they have been enjoying our purchases is an understatement.  One game in particular, Stratego, is a favorite.  All of the kids, even the youngest, have been obsessed with the game.  The best part is that it takes 2 people to play the game.  So they have to communicate, interact, and participate with another person in order to experience the enjoyment of the game.  Unfortunately, too many devices in our world today promote isolation instead of fellowship.  I'm thankful that board games and books are still the latest craze in the Webb household.



1 comment:

  1. well put, chanty. we did purchase the Kinect game console for our boys. they enjoyed it for a bit and then argued nonstop over it. we then put a weekend only rule in place. ever since, it's been much more manageable. but honestly, they play outside more often on the weekends that down in the basement on kinect. it's become a rainy day item. they loooove board games. shawn is a big advocate of the games. our boys learned to play monopoly at very young ages. they still love it. yahtzee,scrabble, to name a few. love you!

    ReplyDelete