God has challenged me to write about how He will supernaturally pay off our mortgage in 5 years. I am a homemaker, my husband is a teacher, and we have three children. Our mortgage balance at the start of this blog is $97,802.62 with a projected payoff date of May 11, 2035.

Sounds foolish, huh? The Bible says that, "...God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;..." So I am choosing to be foolish and trust Him. He's never let me down before.

Friday, August 7, 2015

Free at Last!

Last weekend our daughter came to me asking the loaded question, "Mom, guess what?"

"What?" I responded.

"I'm debt free!" she replied with a big smile across her face.

I smiled back and congratulated her.  Her debt was a whopping $75.  However to a 15-year old teenager with only allowance as an income, this is big money.  She took the rather drastic route of taking every single allowance and putting all of it towards what she owed until she had paid it off.

What she was paying off was summer camp.  During the middle of last school year, Ross and I decided that we would have the kids begin to pay for a portion of their activities.  We see the following benefits in doing this:

  1. More appreciation results when they have invested some of their own money
  2. More consideration results when they have invested some of their own money (they are more apt to seriously weigh whether or not they truly want do participate in an activity)
  3. We are not shouldering the entire financial weight of multiple activities for three children
Our kids are surprisingly compliant with this new dispensation.  There have even been times when they've asked for clarity sake, "Is this something that I will pay for?".  

I praise God for the responsibility that they are learning today and pray that it prepares them for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment