God has challenged me to write about how He will supernaturally pay off our mortgage in 5 years. I am a homemaker, my husband is a teacher, and we have three children. Our mortgage balance at the start of this blog is $97,802.62 with a projected payoff date of May 11, 2035.

Sounds foolish, huh? The Bible says that, "...God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;..." So I am choosing to be foolish and trust Him. He's never let me down before.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Conversation Starter

Our son is working on a project in his social studies class.  It involves looking at a problem that might plague a modern day family and then outlining a solution to that problem.  Guess what problem he picked.  Credit card debt.

After showing me the initial stages of his project, I asked if I could give him some help by sharing the process that we went through to get out of consumer debt.  He accepted, and I began to tell him our tale focusing on three important principals: setting up a budget, living below our means, and creating an emergency fund.

Little did I know all of the questions that this discussion would generate.

"How many credit cards did you have?"
"Why do we eat out just because we have a coupon when we could save more money and not eat out at all?"
"I heard you talking to a lady one time who said that she had nine credit cards at one time.  Why does a person need so many credit cards?"
"What do you do when an unexpected expense comes up?  Where does the money to pay it come from?"

I was pleasantly surprised by all of the thoughts that so quickly came to his mind.  Needless to say I enjoyed answering all of these questions because I love to discuss managing finances.  But more than this, I am happy to see that my son is thinking about matters that many people don't even consider until they reach adulthood.


No comments:

Post a Comment